Professor Inyang Udofot holds the National Certificate in Education (NCE) from the defunct College of Education, Uyo, 1976, a Bachelor of Education majoring in English (B.Ed. English) from the University of Benin, 1981; and the Masters and Doctorate degrees from the University of Uyo in 1992 and 1997 respectively.
Prof Inyang Udofot started work as an English and French teacher in 1976 at Cornelia Connelly College, Uyo. She later transferred to the defunct School of Arts and Science, Uyo in 1981. After her Masters degree, she took up appointment at the University of Uyo as Lecturer II in 1992. She was promoted Lecturer 1 in 1994, Senior Lecturer in 1998, Associate professor in 2000 and Professor in 2003.
She has successfully completed the supervision of 28 Masters Degree dissertations and 13 doctorate theses. She served as acting head, Department of English, 2000-2003; as head Department of English, 2009-2010 and as member of the University’s Governing council representing senate, 2006-2010.
Professor Udofot has 54 publications in national and international journals and books of reading. She has two books: English Semantics and An introduction to the Morphology of English and co-authored Aspects of Spoken Language and An Oral English course for Schools and Colleges. Prof Udofot in collaboration with Prof Carlos Gussenhoven of Queen Mary, University of London has completed the project on The Codification of Nigerian English sponsored by the British Academy/Association Of African Universities – Collaboration Grant Udofot -DB-2007-03/04 and completed the compilation of a Nigerian English Dictionary ( in collaboration with the Nigeria English Studies Association, NESA published in 2014). Prof Inyang Udofot has the following recognitions to her credit: Excellence Award in Teaching and Research by The American Biographical Association 2005.
Listed as a Woman Achiever in Ibom Jewels, an AKBC Publication, 2006. Listed in Achievers’ WHO is WHO in NIGERIA. Lagos: ACHIEVERS Communications Limited, p. 889 , Fellowship of theEnglish Scholars’ Association of Nigeria, 2018 and is a recipient of the highest National Award (Ambassador of Mary) by the National Council of Catholic Women’s Organisation, Nigeria. She was happily married to Prof Mbong Udofot till death parted them in 2012. She has four grown up children and eleven grandchildren.
- Name: Inyang Mbong Udofot
- City: Uyo : Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria
- Degree: Ph.D.
- Email: email@example.com
Years of experience
Professor Inyang Udofot's resume is thick with various professional strides. Peruse them below or download a copy here.
Is the immediate past Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic) University of Uyo). She is also a former Dean, Faculty of Arts. At present she is the Member of Senate at Akwa Ibom State University, Ikot Akpaden, Mkpat Enin. .
- Department of English, Akwa Ibom State University, Ikot Akpaden, Mkpat Enin L.G.A
Ph. D. (ENGLISH)
1994 – 1997
University of Uyo, Uyo
Ph. D Thesis: The Rhythm of Spoken Nigerian English
1990 – 1992
University of Cross River State, (Now University of Uyo)
M.A Dissertation: A Contrastive Analysis of English and Ibibio Phonological Systems
1979 – 1981
University of Benin, Benin
1973 – 1976
College of Education, Uyo
1992-1993 1st semester
ENG.111 - Structure of Modern English 1
ENG. 213 - Advanced Composition 1
ENG 3I3 - Elements of Phonetics
ENG.121 - Structure of Modern English 2
ENG. 329 - Research Methods
ENG.411 - Semantics
1994 - 1997 - Staff Development
1997 - 2016 (1st Semester)
ENG. 313 - Elements of Phonetics
ENG. 411 - Semantics
ENG. 614 - Advanced General Phonetics
ENG. 615 - Advanced semantics
ENG. 711 - Topical issues and theoretical frameworks for a language research
ENG. 126: The Morphology of English
ENG. 423 - Further Enquiries into Language
ENG. 627 - English and the West African Situation
ENG. 420 - Research Projects
ENG. 421 - Seminar in Language
Work Experience Before Present Appointment
- English/French Teacher, Cornelia Connelly College, Uyo (1976 - 1979)
- Housemistress – Dominican House (1976 - 1979)
- Lecturer in English, School of Arts and Science, Uyo (1981 - 1991)
- Housemistress (Hostel 1) (1982 - 1990)
- Principal Education Officer, Educational Development Centre, Ministry of Education, Uyo (1991 - Jan. 1992)
Work Experience in The University
- Examinations Officer, Department of English (1999 - 2000)
- Acting Head – Department of English (From 1st August, 2000 – 31st October 2003 and from 1st June, 2009 till November, 15 . 2010)
- Member, University Governing Council (2006- 2010)
- Dean, Faculty of Arts, From 4th October (2012 - 2016)
- Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic) (2017-2019)
- Member – University Staff Welfare Committee.
- Founding editor- Journal of Nigerian English and Literature, JONEL
- Editor-in-Chief- Uyo Online Journal of Humanities
- Member , Committee to Review Conduct of Examinations (2009-2010)
- Member, Investigation Panel to investigate fraud in the bursary (2011-2012)
- Member, Departmental Appointments and Promotions Committee (2010- 2016)
- Member, Committee on staff development matters (From April, 2012-2016)
National/State/Community Service Outside the University
- President - Catholic Women’s Organization, Uyo Diocese (2009 - 2014)
- Ag. Dean, School of Arts and Social Sciences, National Open University of Nigeria (On Sabbatical Leave (2003-2004)
- Consulting editor – World Englishes, a Journal of World varieties of Englishes
- External Examiner, Department of English and Literary, Studies, Ebonyi State University – Appointed. 2011.
- External Examiner PG. Dept. of English and Literary Studies, University of Calabar (2005-2008, 2016-2017)
- Adjunct professor, Department of English, Akwa Ibom State University (2016-2017)
- Lecturer in English, School of Arts and Science, Uyo (1981 - 1991)
- External Examiner Post Graduate) University of Zululand, South Africa (2015-2020)
- External Assessor for Professorial Appointment, University of Cape Coast. Ghana (2017 - 2021)
- Professor on contract, Dept. of English Akwa Ibom State University, Obio Akpa Campus. (From December, 2021 to the Present)
- Innovations in Nigerian English
- Final consonants in Spoken Nigerian English
- Internet Language and Literacy in Nigeria . University of Uyo IBR October (2016- 2018)
- Production of a Dictionary of Nigerian English (completed 2014)
- Tone in Nigerian English in collaboration with Carlos Gussenhoven, Queen Mary, University of London (2011 -2012)
- The Codification of Nigerian English-Sponsored by the British Academy/Association Of African Universities – Collaboration Grant Udofot -DB-2007-03/04
- The Rhythm of Spoken Nigerian English (Ph. D),1997
- A Contrastive Analysis of English and Ibibio Phonological Systems (M.A),1991
Best Student in Literature in WASCE, Cornelia Connelly College, Uyo, 1969.
Prize for Academic Excellence, College of Education, Uyo, 1976.
Best Post Graduate Coursework Result of the Faculty of Arts, University of Uyo, 1991.
Prof. Inyang Udofot has published extensively in local and
Below are some of them. A complete list of publications can be found here.
- Journal Articles
- Book Chapters
- More Publications
English and the Nigerian Situation: Trends and Imperatives
Sound and Sense in Saro-Wiwa's Songs in a Time of War
A Comprehensive English Course (For Schools and Colleges)
Bilinualism, Trilingualism or Quadrilingualism: The Language Stituation of the Nigerian Child
Nativisation Of The English Language In Nigeria: A Cultural and Linguistic Renaissance
Language and Education in Nigeria: The Case of English
Stress and rhythm in the Nigerian accent of English - A Preliminary Investigation
Recent Innovations in English language in Nigeria
Get in Touch
Department of English,
Akwa Ibom State University,
Ikot Akpaden, Mkpat Enin LGA,
Akwa Ibom State